What are wrinkles?
Wrinkles are a normal part of aging, and this mainly appears on body parts that get the most sun exposure, including the neck, face, tops of the forearms, and back of the hands. We can categorize wrinkles into two categories which are fine/surface lines and deep furrows.
Surface/fine lines are shallow and small lines that appear on the skin’s surface. It is typically caused by repetitive facial movements like laughing, frowning, smiling, and squinting. These lines are seen around the eye and mouth areas.
On the other hand, deep furrows or glabellar lines are wrinkles that look like wavy lines on the forehead. The factors of deep furrows formation revolve around frequent facial movements and genetics, skin tightness, and face shape.
Because of aging, the dermis, or the skin’s inner layer, thins out as skin cell division goes slower. This causes the skin to lose its structure and stretchiness. Aging skin also loses its ability to hold moisture. It makes less oil and is slower in the healing process. Additionally, the following are more causes of wrinkles formations:
- Sun exposure
- Heredity: Studies have shown that there are families that wrinkle more.
- Repeated facial expressions
- Skin type: People with blue eyes and light-colored skin are more vulnerable to sun damage.
- Smoking: It has been stated that smoking can slow down the skin’s collagen production, which has been emphasized as an essential part of a healthy skin structure. A downturn in collagen triggers wrinkles formation. Aside from serious health effects, another reason to quit smoking or never even start is its adverse contribution to wrinkles.
Although some factors are uncontrollable, you can minimize sun exposure or never smoke.
What are wrinkle treatments?
Wrinkle treatments are a set of injectables and other procedures or creams used and clinically tested in addressing wrinkles. If your wrinkle appearance does not flatter you, you can try many types of treatments. These types have designated purposes and certain treatment areas.
Various types of wrinkle treatments
Botox: Botox is a widely known brand of botulinum toxin injections. It is a neurotoxin that affects nerves that cause muscle weakening. Knowing that Botox is used for medical and cosmetic reasons is vital. For medical reasons, it prevents migraine headaches, hyperhidrosis, crossed eyes, etc. For cosmetic reasons, it is injected into specific muscles to treat wrinkles.
Xeomin: Xeomin is approved by the Food and Drug Administration in treating blepharospasm, cervical dystonia, and moderate to severe frown lines between the eyebrows. According to sources, doctors can use it as both on-label and off-label in treating the same facial lines.
Dysport: Dysport temporarily addresses moderate to severe frown lines between the eyebrows. It is considered fast-acting, natural-looking, and long-lasting and is clinically proven to treat wrinkles without altering the movement or look of the whole face. Dysport has twenty-five years of clinical experience globally and is approved in sixty-nine countries.
Jeuveau: This type of wrinkle treatment is a prescription medicine used in adults for glabellar lines. It is not recommended for patients with an allergic reaction to other botulinum products or patients with active skin infection to planned treatment areas.
How can you prevent wrinkles?
To prevent wrinkles naturally, you can try some tips to avoid wrinkle formation. These are some of the ways:
- Intake of healthy foods: Eating healthy foods will give your body sufficient minerals and vitamins it needs, and when this happens, your whole body, significantly your skin will benefit.
- Moisturize: Moisturizing the skin is one of the ways to keep it hydrated, and hydrated skin equates to plump skin. Having dry skin withers your skin cells and encourages creases and fine lines.
- Avoid smoking: Tobacco smoke damages elastin and collagen. Nicotine in cigarettes also causes blood vessels to tighten, reducing blood flow to your skin. All of these do not only damage your skin but are also a significant factor in wrinkle formation, as mentioned earlier.
- Protect your skin from excessive sun exposure: As an additional help, you must also limit your time under sun exposure, specifically in the middle of the day. Your provider may recommend you wear protective clothing like hats, sunglasses, and sleeves. It will also help if you apply sunscreen with at least SPF 30 and reapply every two hours. Another tip is to choose any everyday beauty products like makeup and lotion with SPF 30 to ensure your protection.
- Sleep on your back: A 2016 study stated that the sleeping position affects wrinkle formation. People who sleep on their sides or their stomachs are vulnerable to mechanical compression forces, which speed up wrinkle formation. It also distorts facial skin. To prevent this, studies suggest sleeping on your back.
Additionally, silk pillowcases are excellent for your skin because they help prevent skin abrasion and reduce friction.
- Keep your face relaxed: As mentioned, frequent facial movements also contribute to wrinkle formation. That is why keeping your face relaxed through various techniques may help reduce the risks of a wrinkled appearance. Examples of these ways are yoga, regular exercise, meditation, deep breathing exercises, and mindfulness.
You can choose from various wrinkle treatment choices in Vital Aesthetics as they provide flawless transformations through regenerative and balancing skills! With their main aesthetic injector with twelve years of expertise in Issaquah, Washington, you can ensure quality service!
Have your reservation now and contact the best aesthetics around the corner to confidently bid goodbye to wrinkles and other signs of aging.